Friday, May 14, 2010

Photowalk 13 May '10



I woke up this morning to find compost strewn over my porch. Apparently my mom brought back 20 plus kilos and one of my dog's ripped through the bags. After cleaning up the mess my brother and I stopped by the KTS building for some breakfast.

I wanted to try the capabilities of the jpeg again today this morning. Here it is at the default saturation setting..


..whereas on this image, I added +1 to the saturation value. It looks a little overcooked for my taste, hence I guess I will stick to the original settings.

The beef noodles are as spectacular as ever although their taste wasn't as intense as they usually were.

The kampua was an eye opener - its fantastic. For RM 2, You get a huge plate of noodles with some nicely cooked pork slices. Yumm!

Next to the canteen, several fishing ships still berth there bringing in fresh catch from the sea. Its unfortunate that our waterfronts are being gradually replaced by crappy designs from local developers who prefer to make a quick buck out of it. I'm not surprised that these rustic waterfronts will share a similar fate with the one at Gambier Road.

Fishing boats aren't the most hygienic workplaces, with plates of food and rubbish strewn everywhere. But the local fishermen are quite friendly, and thats what I admire about them.

The boat also has a resident cat, presumably to keep the rats away. It's a pity its on a leash.

The Dewan Undangan Negeri is visible from all around Kuching.

We then made our way to another wharf in front of Benson Seafood. At the end of the pier lies a disused fishing boat waiting for the time when it will eventually sink to the bottom of the river bed.

At its heydays, I'm sure this area was very busy and noisy with fishermen unloading their catch at the pier, while wheel barrows rock against the teak wood, bringing the fresh produce to the local markets along gambier street.

But right now, its silent. Not even a sound whispered. Kinda eerie, in a way.

We made our way to a chinese temple at the top of the hill at Muara Tebas.

The Ching San Yen temple, build about 200 years ago occupies an ancient site. Here travellers give thanks after safely crossing the South China Sea. The host deity of this temple is Buddha Shakyamuni. Other deities include Sea Goddess Macho. The shrine was renovated in 1903, major renovations were made in 1994-2000. Devotees occasionally hire boats to visit 'Lion Rock' on the adjacent Pulau Lakei.

At the top of the hill, you can view the whole township of Muara Tebas. Its indeed a sight to behold, and I'm sure it would've looked even better if the skies were blue.

In a small town like Muara Tebas, nothing much goes on. Yet, the kids here are perfectly happy although they lack large shopping malls, cyber cafes, nightclubs, etc. The lives of the city folk seems so busy in comparison!

The villagers are more than happy to reside in stilt houses. Unfortunately if they were built in Australia, these houses would fail the occupational health and safety requirements. The green mold at the corner of the yellow building on the right should give you a clue ;)

Similar to the boats in town, the fishermen here are also very friendly. They pass their time resting in their boats and playing card games.

Another view of the temple complex at the end of the jetty. As you can see, it is pretty expansive.

The houses here are also more liberal with their colour choices, sporting a mix of green, pink and light blue colours. I guess if we painted our houses as such in town, we'd be getting a frown from our neighbours.

We also wanted to stop by the Borneo Convention Center (which is beautifully landscaped by the way at the expense of taxpayers' money), but security was pretty tight, so we couldn't go near the building at all. So much for being a 'convention center for the people' :s

I also stopped by my alma matter just to see how things were going.

Yep, everything's pretty much the same ever since I left about 8 years ago.

Even the food tastes the same too. I wonder how I survived recess by having a small pack of white rice, fried egg, and belacan. Its still RM1 fortunately. I guess things would have been better if we had a kolo mee stall in school.

The indoor stadium's still as unventilated as far. No wonder we sweat like mad whenever the whole school had their assemblies here.

This is the school toilet block. Strangely it doesn't smell as bad as it used to be. Hmmm

Thats about it folks. I started this experiment by attempting to make Nikon jpegs look as good as Olympus ones when they're produced straight out of camera especially with regards to skin tones, and blue skies. After a week of testing, I can confidently tell you that its not going to happen, and one just has to accept Nikon colours as they are.

Hence I'm going to experiment with NEF files, and see if things turn out better. Wish me luck~  :)

6 Comments:

Asfan said...

The colors in this posting are pretty dull and thin. I think you're trying too hard ...leave Nikon JPEG alone, its not OLYs, ...been there & done that before ..... Use RAW if you want something closer but orange and reds will never be the same. Even Nikon rendering of black is not the same as Oly's. Good luck...

travelfotografer said...

I see your brother is shooting with an Olympus DSLR; those silver rings on the front of the lens are un-mistakable even when in bokeh.

David Chua said...

It's time to change your intro on your site's top left hand corner... you're a Nikon man now, no longer an Oly Man. LOL...

Agree with Asfan.. try vivid for landscape? RAW does help. You can always see the diff in Nikon software after you shoot everything in RAW and figure out which setting is best for which situation.

Colors are of personal taste. Do what you love best.

David Chua said...

I like the cat shot most but pity it's a little too bright in the middle. These are just "very nikon colors". Olympus still has much better colors to my personal taste.

Ananda Sim said...

Not having shot a Nikon DSLR, and these guys sound like they have, yeah, looks like you're going the RAW route. You're pretty handy with Lightroom (?) so maybe it's not as painful it might be. If you can get a profile set up, then you might not lose too much time.

Really, these JPEGs don't look at all like the Oly ones. I guess when you grow "up" into a full frame, high fps, high ISO capable tool, you have to kiss goodbye your earlier workflow.

I think the DR is a lot better - that temple shot does not look black in the shadows unlike my E-510 which goes too black and the highlights turn white. So that's the good bit.

Once you get the magic touch again, that will be a milestone in your evolution.

brandon said...

Thanks Asfan, I have left Nikon jpegs alone so far. I guess I wouldn't touch them unless I've got hard disk space issues!

Travelfotografer, I left my brother my Olympus kit ;)

Thanks David, I've just changed the introduction. Currently trying out vivid for landscapes.

Thanks Ananda, I haven't got a lightroom profile set up yet, but I'm sure I can easily import it. And yes, with D lighting, the dynamic range is indeed expanded without looking too artificial.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online