Friday, October 08, 2010


I don't feel attached to Singapore. Yes, I've a close aunty / uncle there as well as some friends from Singapore who I met in Melbourne. But otherwise, Singapore doesn't come to mind that often.

Today, I was surfing through Google reader and stumbled upon MM Lee Kuan Yew's eulogy for his dearly departed wife, Kwa Geok Choo. It is an eulogy written with a lot of love, and compassion. It's sounds sad too, and rightly so because Mr Lee loved his wife very much.

Both of them met up early in life after the second world war, when MM Lee didn't have a decent education and income then. Times were tough. Despite that, they persevered and held on to what they believed in. After they returned to Singapore, his wife continued to compliment him in taking care of the family and also during ministerial assignments. It's interesting how she (and ladies in general) have an uncanny feeling if something doesn't feel right. Mrs Lee was certain that Singapore and Malaysia wouldn't work together, while Mr Lee thought that it was the only choice. It turns out she was right in the end.

Other than being a great advocate for reading, she cared a lot about others, loved gardening and cared for all the little critters that inhabited their garden (until she didn't want the gardeners to use pesticide for fear of killing them).

During the last years of her life, Mr Lee cared tenderly for his wife while she suffered from stroke. After the wedding bells, roses and romantic love messages fade, real love is shown when you really care for someone until they depart.

I don't mean to be morbid, but I would like to adopt some phrases from Mr Lee's eulogy for my special someone:

We have many precious memories together. Without you, I would be a different man, with a different life. You were always there when I needed you. I hope we will live a life full of warmth and meaning.


Good night~

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online