Thursday, September 17, 2009

Being ordinary

Most of the time, I write grand articles on my experiences in Melbourne, and sometimes, an occasional 'gear review would give me some fame on the internet (aka. 777 views in the last 24 hours - how wonderful is that?). Unfortunately, most of these articles are technically complicated, such that the layperson will not understand nor appreciate what I am writing about.



Some of these laypersons do matter to me very much. Occasionally my parents, uncles / aunties and cousins would visit my blog, in order to see how I'm doing. In this instance, I use pictures more than words to convey what I'd like to tell them, aka. this blog is my digital diary.


In these circumstances, all of my images are quite ordinary. Perhaps the composition, sharpness and contrast etc. isn't great, but its my own personal story that I'm trying to convey, not those of others. (This is still an issue I'm trying to grapple with internally, so to speak).


Regretably due to the relative 'public' status of my blog, I can't convey too much information, lest I get into trouble. No doubt, some of my views about certain issues (mostly religious or political) has had people grabbing me by the throat and trying to brainwash me. I seriously dislike this.


Perhaps thats why in my public life, I 'hide' behind my camera, letting my eyes roam, and selective record scenes that may mean something to me.


The consequence of recording pictures is that I am often so engrossed in it that I forget to build relationships with others, because any good photographer needs that too.


Sometimes I wish if I could be invisible (for good reasons), silently roaming around Melbourne, recording what I see without others becoming suspicious of me. Of course, most of my friends have become oblivious to me, but with others whom are not familiar with me, it could be a bit more challenging.


Heaven forbid, some folks even think I'm stuck up because I don't even talk to them. This is true to some extent, and I'm trying to change this fact.

I need to constantly remind myself who am I, and what is my identity. Its seems that more people regard me as a photographer rather than being a friend. Yep, I've gotta change that.


Anyway, yesterday was Malaysia day (16 September), but sadly no one gives a damn about it. At this point in time, total integration between West and East Malaysia still leaves something to be desired. I have met many friends from Kuala Lumpur who are yet to visit Sarawak or Sabah even once and see what we have to offer. It's a shame considering quite a number of my Kuching friends have visited Kuala Lumpur several (or many) times. Quite ironic, isn't it?

3 Comments:

Unknown said...

black & white = sombre mood... I hope not.

Come next election, we vote for a change, hopefully the PR leader keeps his promise then to make 16 Sept as the national day, or perhaps building Malaysia's version of Channel Tunnel, which i'd really see it to happen.

with the same flight cost, people can be at China, or even Melbourne. What to do...

dan said...

As a non-Malaysian, Sabah was my first Malaysian experience, besides KLIA. Whilst I'd love to see more of West Malaysia as well, East Malaysia carries as much if not more appeal to me.

Robin Wong said...

Yeah, it is just too bad how west malaysians have come to "negelct" the existance of Sarawak and Sabah, and how significant we are to the whole nation.
I believe almost none of my pure KL-ians colleagues ever really visited Kuching, and business trips do not count.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online