There was an Indonesian festival held at Federation Square last weekend.
Strangely, I feel proud as a Malaysian because Indonesian and Malaysian cultures are so similar. Of course, I regretfully state that the Indonesians do it much better than the Malaysians in terms of bringing forth our culture to the public eye. So next time if you'd like to see "Malaysian" Culture in style, visit the Indonesian Festival. You won't be disappointed.
Of course, both of our countries don't see eye to eye with each other, eg.
- Excessive burning of farm land in Indonesia leading to the haze in Malaysia and surrounding countries a few years back
- Abuse of Indonesian maids by Malaysian employers
- Malaysian students staying in Jakarta threatened by angry Indonesians.
- A tourism video promoting Malaysia supposedly depicting an Indonesian dance instead of being authentically Malaysian.
- Indonesian batik manufacturers claiming their products are more intricate and original compared to their Malaysian counterparts.
- Indonesia claiming Sabah and Sarawak as part of their estate during the forming of Malaysia in 1965
Festival Indonesia gives an interesting perspective on Indonesian culture, and is highly worth taking a closer look at.